The Ford 3.5 EcoBoost engine is a series of turbocharged, direct-injection gasoline engines that was originally co-developed by Mazda and German company FEV Engineering. The Ford Ecoboost 2L and 2.3L are turbocharged versions of the Mazda L engine. EcoBoost engines are engineered for 30% better fuel efficiency and 15% fewer greenhouse emissions while delivering power and torque consistent with those of larger-displacement, naturally aspirated engines.
According to Ford, the EcoBoost technology is less costly and more versatile than further expanding or developing the use of hybrid and diesel engines.
In this article, I present you with the five best tuners for 3.5 EcoBoost engines.
List of Top-Rated Tuners for 3.5 Ecoboost Comparison Table:
The Tuners for 3.5 Ecoboost Reviews & Buyer’s Guide:
The Max Energy 2.0 Power Programmer is considered as one of the fastest to install, and easiest to operate booster tuners, that delivers exceptional performance upgrade.
This model will install within 15 minutes, and will then be ready to perform diagnostics, deliver preset tunes and provide custom tuning. It comes with a large backlit LCD screen for convenient GUI.
What do you get from the Max Energy 2.0? You get a plethora of options to play around with, and these include:
Speedometer Calibrator, set to calibrate aftermarket wheels and tires, and aftermarket ring and pinion gear sets with different rear gear ratios.
TPMS Threshold that adjusts the TPMS warning threshold when you install aftermarket tires.
Top-Speed Limiter that will match your new wheels and tires.
Automatic Transmission Adjustments that includes Shift Firmness Tunes, which lets you shift firmness and quickness for specific driving conditions including towing, daily driving, to maximum performance under full throttle acceleration.
You can customize the upshift and downshift Response, as well slip the torque converter clutch (TCC) instead of a full lockup. Then there is the ability to raise or lower the shift points in 100 RPM increments.
The Fuel Management Systems “V4/V8 mode” that enables you to improve V4 engine performance efficiency by reducing the minimum speed.
The Throttle Adjustments include the “selectable throttle restriction” tunes for 0-60 Throttle Restriction without disabling the torque management completely. You also get the Throttle Response Tunes for customizing the power delivery. This works in perfect sync with the RPM “Rev” Limiter that extends the RPM range for reaching your engines “sweet spot” in gear changes.
You also get to control the Cooling Fan “On/Off” Temperatures, and have all the Read & Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes(DTCs) options open for you to manage.
You also get the Return To Stock Or Change Option Settings so you can set it back to stock when you send it in for your annual checkup.
The Max Energy 2.0 is Internet Updateable
- Speedometer Calibrator
- TPMS Threshold
- Top-Speed Limiter
- Automatic Transmission Adjustments
- Shift Firmness Tunes with Shift Response, TCC Slip Tunes, and Shift Points
- Fuel Management Systems “V4/V8 mode.”
- Throttle Adjustments with 0-60 Throttle Restriction and Throttle Response Tunes
- RPM “Rev” Limiter
- Cooling Fan “On/Off” Temperatures
- Read & Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes(DTCs)
- Return To Stock Or Change Option Settings
- Internet Updateable
The Max Energy 2.0 is a nice, compact and comfortable device, and will give you exceptional performance upgrade.
The Trinity 2 EX is a comprehensive, jam-packed tuner that, well is bursting at its seams with options.
Trinity 2 EX is licensed for 50-state but is not compatible with CMR, so you can tune, and also pass your SMOG test.
This tuner comes with a plethora of options to choose from, and you can create any number of configurations that includes tunes for daily driving, towing and performance while all the time is maintaining emissions compliance.
What’s great about the Trinity 2 EX is that it comes with Multiple Vehicle Licenses, so you are not limited to just one vehicle. This means you can upgrade the tuner for more than one model.
The Full-color, high-definition 5″ touch screen is an exceptional response screen, and you get a very good GUI that delivers easy to understand and control monitor performance.
What you also get are fast read/write times, with the ability to add up to 100 HP with 250 TQ on Diesel engines, and an additional 90 HP with 90 TQ on Gas engines.
You get Full data logging capability with AFM/MDS active fuel management options and the standard set of Reading and clear diagnostic trouble codes.
- Full-color, high-definition 5″ touchscreen
- Lightning fast read/write times
- Performance tuning for mileage, towing, daily driving, and performance
- Add up to 100 HP and 250 TQ on Diesel engines, and up to 90 HP with 90 TQ on Gas engines
- One-Touch, easy menu navigation, updated by WIFI
- Full data logging capability
- AFM/MDS active fuel management options
- Read and clear diagnostic trouble codes
- Correct speedometer and adjust speed/rev limiters
- Multi-vehicle licenses available
- 50-State legal tuning available
The Trinity is a high-end brand name, and you are getting exceptional versatility and quality with the model, with the added benefit of being 50 State legal.
SCT X4 Performance Programmer is a classic; this is an affordable there that will improve your performance.
OK, its time to go crazy and present you with one exceptional and affordable product that really does shine above the rest. The price-performance ratio on this product is incredible.
So, what do you get with this model?
You get an adjustable Auto Start/Stop, quite a feat, but no, there is more.
You get Axle Ratio correction for handling aftermarket upgrades that change your speedometer calculations. You also get to toggle the CMCV (Charge Motion Control Valve), and the Displacement on Demand (DOD) in the PCM.
This model support Kooks High Flow Y Pipes and controls the fan, as well as adjusts for a front mounted intercooler. You can adjust for different sized fuel injectors and also change the timing across all RPM for that Global Spark.
You can adjust the calibration to compensate for Grill Shutter removal as well as adjust the system for aftermarket long tube headers.
This is not all; there is more, so hold on to your screens.
You get to enable and select a value for Engine Idle position and works with aftermarket intakes, as well as create a Jake brake.
You get to lock the converter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. as well as a lock at CT too. The list goes on, what next? Oh, yes there is a Mass Air Meter (MAF), Multiple Displacement System (MDS) and a full range of Pedal Response calibration. The Rev Limiter gives you control over your RPM levels, and the RPM Based Spark can be adjusted too.
There is a Shift Assist, Sound Symposer toggle, and speed limiter. A Super Charger Pulley adjustor and a Take Off Assist with Throttle Body compensation. Obviously, you get to change the tire size and TPMS for perfect calibration and can set for automatic traction control. Let’s not forget the Transmission Shift Firmness with adjustable Transmission Shift Points.
Did I miss anything out?
- Big Power. Small Package
- Stores up to 10 custom tune files
- Built-In Wifi for easy updates
- Reads & Clears PCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
- Data Logging
- Dual Analog Inputs
- Monitor EGT temps, air-fuel ratio and other popular sensor data.
- Easy Restoration Back to Stock
- Full-Color LCD display for easy viewing, day or night.
- Increases your vehicles Horsepower, Torque, Throttle Response, and even Fuel Mileage
- Installs quickly & easily to your vehicle’s OBDII port.
- USB Interface Cable & Livelink Datalogging software included
Wow, what a device, honestly, if its an overload of information you want, then don’t think twice, in fact just don’t think. Act now and get one, get another one for your friend’s birthday too.
The Livewire TS+ is a mighty little device that comes with a mighty price, so you expect to get some mighty performance, and you do. It’s another fully loaded SCT device, so be prepared.
With its 4″ touch screen display, the Livewire TS+ delivers Switch On-The-Fly performance, that includes a load of options that are as long as the road.
You can correct the vehicle speedometer with fuel efficiency calculations when you the gear ratio on your vehicle, so you get an Axle Ratio configuration option to start off with.
You also get to disable the CMCV (Charge Motion Control Valve) and able to Disable the DOD (Displacement On Demand functions). This model supports the aftermarket Kooks High Flow Y Pipes and also controls your fan.
The monitor lets you adjust for a Front Mounted Intercooler, and adjust for different sized fuel injectors. You can manage your Global Spark by changing the timing of all RPM ranges, and it also lets you calibrate Grill Shutter removal compensation.
Yes, this one also lets you adjust the aftermarket long tube Headers and also lets you select a value for Engine Idle position.
You can adjust for an aftermarket intake as well as add a Jake brake.
You get to lock the converter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. and also lock it at CT.
This model includes the different aftermarket MAF (Mass Air Meters) too.
As with the SCT X4, there is a Shift Assist, Sound Symposer toggle, and speed limiter. A Super Charger Pulley adjustor and a Take Off Assist with Throttle Body compensation. Obviously, you get to change the tire size and TPMS for perfect calibration and can set for automatic traction control. Let’s not forget the Transmission Shift Firmness with adjustable Transmission Shift Points.
- The Color 4″ Touch Screen Display
- Switch On-The-Fly*
- Holds up to 10 Custom Tunes
- Automatic On / Off / Sleep Mode
- Available for both Gas & Diesel Vehicles
- Works with most 1996+ Gas & Diesel vehicles
- Built-In Performance Calculator
- Built-In Horsepower, Torque, 1/4 Mile & 0-60MPH ET’s
- High-Speed Data Logging & Monitoring
- Reads & Clears PCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
- Rear View Camera Input
- User Adjustable Tune Options
- User Adjustable Warning / Alerts
- Easy to configure gauge warning & alerts for critical engine parameters.
- User Selectable Graphics & Gauge Layouts
- Windshield Mount Included
This is the big daddy version of the SCT 7105 that I reviewed above, it comes with a heftier price tag, but it gives you a few more features that stand out, such as a switch on the fly. Al in all, a serious model for a serious driver.
Superchips Flashpaq 1845 for Ford F-150, Power Stroke, or Mustang. Covers the 3.5L Ecoboost, 5.0L Coyote, and 6.7L Power Stroke motors. This is one versatile device with a very nice price tag.
The Superchips Flashpaq 1845 is designed specifically for Ford applications; as such, it comes with Pre-loaded tunes for a plethora of performance categories.
The Flashpaq gives you control via a Sharp, high-definition, 5 color touch-screen. The screen allows you to Tap and Go for quick navigation performance.
This model includes Speedometer and rev limiter options and lets you make manual entry options for tires, gears, and other parts. There is a Virtual drag trip that lets you perform 0-60 MPH, ¼ mile, 1/8 mile testing.
You also get to calculate data parameters (PIDs) including boost, HP & TQ ratings, as well as provide extensive data-logging adjustments.
You also get the basic Auto Start/Stop, read and clear diagnostic trouble codes, and can add additional vehicle licenses.
This model is fully WIFI compatible with online updating.
- High-definition, 2.8″ color screen
- Redesigned graphics interface for improved GUI
- Increased memory with the faster processor
- Custom preset tunes for Economy, Towing, Daily Driving, and Extreme Tuning
- Eliminates downshifting when climbing hills
- Speedometer correction for changes in tire size and gear ratio
- Adjust speed & rev limiters
- Active fuel management control
- Vehicle parameter monitoring capabilities
- Read & clear diagnostic trouble codes
- Tuning for shift points, shift firmness, & TQ management
- Internet updateable with all-new update software via USB
This is a budget-friendly model, so it comes with budget-friendly performance, which means it’s a great starter pack for enthusiasts that are just starting out.