Tuners will tweak your engine’s performance to optimize fuel per mile ratios by using specifically canned or Dyno tunes. These will ultimately deliver an improvement of anywhere between 1-2MPG, which over hundreds or thousands of miles accounts for a lot of saved money.
A good tuner that comes with preset tunes, will provide your engine with overall better performance, as well as give you a more intuitive converter lock-up strategy with increased line pressure that makes for better clutch holding capacity, quicker shifting, longer trans life and also lowers the overall temperatures, for power you get increased torque and better kick down response.
SOTF (Switch on The Fly)
You might have heard of this, and for the Ford 6.7L trucks SOTF is very popular and sought after features What SOTF does is it allows you to match powertrain output to truck usage. For towing heavy loads, this is a must, since you can assure a non-compromised power curve when pushing uphill, this will maintain temperatures and torque loads to transmission.
Emission Equipment Deletion
You should not tamper with emission equipment performance, it is both illegal in many states and will take away a lot of the warranty work requirements. Essentially, there is a lot of misconception about factory emission equipment, and most of it is bull, so just ignore the idiots that cancel out DPF, DEF, EGR and don’t be fooled into deleting them.
Voiding your warranty by using a tuner is an issue that is usually handled by the dealership or insurance company policy you have. Consider this, check it out first, if your warranty is still valid, don’t void it recklessly, check first.
Now let’s take a look at the 5 best tuners for 2015 6.7 Powerstroke engines.
List of Top-Rated Tuners for 2015 6.7 Powerstroke Comparison Table:
|Edge Products 85400||1.75 pounds||9.5” x 6.5” x 3.7”||View on Amazon|
|Superchips 1050||2 pounds||9.5” x 6.2” x 4”||View on Amazon|
|Banks 66410||3 pounds||6” x 6” x 6”||View on Amazon|
|SCT 40460S||2 pounds||4.2” x 9.2” x 8.2”||View on Amazon|
|Edge Products 16040||11.2 ounces||5” x 6” x 2.5”||View on Amazon|
The Tuners for 2015 6.7 Powerstroke Reviews & Buyer’s Guide:
1. Edge Products 85400 CTS2 Diesel Evolution Programmer Tuner for 2015 6.7 Powerstroke
- Ford F-250 1994.5-2003 7.3L, 2003-2007 6.0L, 2008-2010 6.4L, 2011-2015 6.7L
- Ford F-350 1994.5-2003 7.3L, 2003-2007 6.0L, 2008-2010 6.4L, 2011-2015 6.7L
- Ford F-450 2008-2010 6.4L, 2011-2015 6.7L
- Ford F-550 2008-2010 6.4L, 2011-2015 6.7L
Evolution CTS2 model 85400 is designed specifically for 6.7L Powerstroke applications and is a classic plug and play ODBII programmer.
Edge is one of the market’s leaders for tuners, and this one is no exception to the rule of perfection that Edge provides. This model comes with preset tunes as well as allowing you to play with specific tunes. It reads and clears all DTC’s and is compatible with the Expandable Accessory System (EAS). You get in-cab monitoring with a vivid color screen and displays true speed to monitor performance. The screen comes with an auto dim feature, and you get performance tests as well as video capable logging. The device connects to the internet for updates.
- 5” full color, high-resolution, swipe screen
- Custom color mixer for gauge arcs, needles, and backgrounds
- Multiple gauge screen layouts
- Fully customizable backgrounds
- Comprehensive digital gauge display
- HDMI style plug for power and linking EAS accessories
- One-touch easy menu navigation
- Notification center
- Switch between US or Metric units of measure
- Light sensitivity meter to dim screen as ambient light decreases
- Internet Updatable
This is one of the most comprehensive programmers on the market and is a professional model for the professional truck driver and mechanic.
2. Superchips 1050 Dashpaq In-Cab Monitor And Performance Tuner Programmer for 2015 6.7 Powerstroke
- Fits the 7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L, 6.7L, and 3.0L Ford Power Stroke engines
Dashpaq is Superchips’ performance tuner and monitor model for 6.7L Powerstroke (and more).
This model comes with a lot of great preset tunes for all 2016 and newer models.
You get an EAS system that lets you add more sensor inputs, so you can view data as and when it appears on the screen.
What you get with this model is a great in-cab style Color Screen with customizable backgrounds and an auto-dim function. The device both records and alerts and provides performance testing.
Apart from all the usual levels of adjustment, including reading and clearing all DTC’s you get canned tunes for performance, heavy towing and mileage saving, these provide you with the following immediate improvements:
- Performance: 106HP 318TQ
- Heavy Tow: 43HP 134TQ
- Mileage XS Save: 72HP 203TQ
- In-cab monitor and performance tuner
- Use button interface to switch between layouts, select performance settings, and more
- Manage real-time MPGs on the dash to improve efficiency
- Schedule and track routine maintenance
- Connect multiple accessories for added functionality via EAS
- Add a custom pod or gauge mount to round out a clean, finished look on the dash
- Installs in just minutes
- Log your data and export for review in a CSV file
Superchips is another leader in the field, and as such, delivers a customizable performance tuner that not only sits well in the cab, and on your dash, but lets you customize its screen for your specific eye readability.
3. Banks 66410 AutoMind 2 Programmer Tuner for 2015 6.7 Powerstroke
- 2016 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2016 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2015 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2015 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2014 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2014 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2013 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2013 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2012 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2012 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2011 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
- 2011 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 6.7L DIESEL
The Banks AutoMind 2 Programmer is a Hand-Held tuner for Ford applications, including the 6.7 Powerstroke.
With its Full-color 2.8” screen, the Banks AutoMind 2 displays critical engine functions through its new and improved GUI. This is a Power, Fuel Economy and Performance model that delivers power on demand by removing the factory’s power delay.
The AutoMind 2 is updatable via the Internet and provides you with a versatile all-in-one scanning and programming interface.
You get to monitor performance and fuel economy as well as read and clear all DTC’s.
- Full-color 2.8” screen
- Internet updatable
- Flexible all-in-one programmer and scan tool
- Displays critical engine functions
- Monitor performance & fuel economy
- Read and clear trouble codes
- Updatable, Windows 7 (or newer) and Mac OS
The AutoMind 2 is a nice versatile model that sits well in your hand and lets you implement canned tunes for improved performance. It looks and feels neat in the hand too.
4. SCT Performance – 40460S – GTX Performance Tuner and Monitor for 2015 6.7 Powerstroke
The SCT Performance – 40460S – GTX Performance Tuner and Monitor does not require a computer.
Even newbie can use this tuner. It has a lot of different powerful features. One of it’s greatest upsides is the loading speed – 40460S starts less than 10 seconds and has a convenient interface. A 5-inch sensitive display covered with a capacitive glass can show all the necessary info.
I have got to be blunt with you here, at the price its offered, this is one tuner that is hard to beat, and the display is just magic.
5. Edge Products 16040 Evo HT2 Programmer Tuner for 2015 6.7 Powerstroke
- 2016 Ford Gas D-541-9
- Diesel D-541-18
- 2011-UP 6.7L
The Edge EvoHT is a hand-held performance tuner for fast and accurate canned tune application.
This model is a handheld, so its focus I not on GUI but on performance upgrade. As such you get the standard DTC Read and Clear function as well as three canned tunes, which are:
- Tow Tune: + 72 HP & 203 lb-ft
- Economy Tune: + 43 HP & 134 lb-ft
- Added HP Tune: + 106 HP & 315 lb-ft
You also get many more performance tunes, and obviously, you will get a full range of specs to adjust.
- Improves fuel economy and towing capabilities
- Installs in minutes with no tools required
- Speedometer calibration for axle gear and tire size changes
- Advanced tuning selections from rev limits to shift points
- Monitor engine and transmission parameters
- Read and clear diagnostic trouble codes
A classic model with a standard price, and is a non-nonsense canned tuner for immediate performance upgrading.
The Ford 6.7 Powerstroke engine was created in 2008, with the code name Scorpion, this exceptional engine changed the way to next-generation powerful diesel engines, and it took a year of intense planning, design, and testing to come up with this new engine for their F-series of trucks.
In 2010, The first 6.7L Powerstroke engines came with 390 horsepower, and this was increased to 400. In 2015, the upgraded model was given 440 horsepower and provided 860 lb-ft of at 1600 RPM.
This 2015 model comes with 3.9” bore cylinders and a 4.25” stroke, and as the name suggests, the engine’s volume is 6.7L, which is 409 cubic inches.
Head and Block
The 6.7L Powerstroke engine block is now made out of compacted graphite iron (CGI). CGI is a more popular material due to its increased strength and lighter weight when compared to the traditional cast iron blocks. CGI was initially used for brake discs on high-speed trains.
To reduce weight and increase thermal transfer performance, the head is made of an aluminum alloy, and this comes with 2 intake and 2 exhaust overhead valves (OHV) per cylinder valvetrain. The camshaft is located in the block and uses the traditional pushrod strategy.
The decision to move the turbocharger into the engine valley, as well as change the block to CGI material was at first met with skepticism. However, these two changes, together with the new fuel injection system, revolutionized the diesel stereotype from a boorish dirty image into a competitive hi-tech market.
The 6.7L Powerstroke leaves the factory with the following specifications:
- Block: CGI
- Bore: 3.90 in
- Stroke: 4.25 in
- Compression: 16.2:1
- Cylinder Head: Aluminum
- Valves per cylinder: 4
- Turbo: Single Sequential (GT32)
- HPFP: Bosch CP4.2
- Injectors: Bosch Piezo
- Initial Horsepower: 390 hp
- Initial Torque: 735 lb.-ft
- Adjusted Horsepower: 400 hp
- Adjusted Torque: 800 lb.-ft
Now that we have an advanced composite diesel engine, and yes you can use the word composite for anything that is made out of more than one material., makes it sounds so much more sophisticated than it really is. Let’s take a look at how we can improve its performance, which is what every truck driver want to do, even if they don’t admit it.
Before you consider upgrading your engine with aftermarket parts, take note that a tuner will improve performance that might meet your requirements, and save you on aftermarket upgrades. On the other hand, you might want a complete upgrade with aftermarket and tuning. This will turn any 6.7L Powerstroke beast into a rampaging Hulk.
What can be tuned?
You can tune any part that is electronically controlled by the PCM. This includes:
Camshafts, Cold air intakes, Cylinder heads, Fuel injectors, Full exhaust systems and headers, Intake manifolds, Nitrous systems, Rear gear changes, Superchargers/Turbochargers, and Throttle bodies.
This is the performance list, there are other options to add such as automating windows, locks, alarms, etc., but that is for comfort, not performance.
Take heed that tuning your Powerstroke will void its warranty, and understand this, Ford has proprietary software that will know when you tuned, and how many times you tuned and restored.
Custom, Canned and Dyno
There are three types of tunes available, these are:
- Canned: A generic preset tune that comes with the device.
- Custom: A specially written tune, either prepared by a company or made by a professional.
- Dyno: A shop prepared tune, where the tuner dials it in real-time.
Please be aware that you must never buy a tune from an unknown source, and never tune by yourself. Custom tuning is for professionals that understand the nature of the entire operation; one change can destroy your performance, let alone an entire range of changes.
There are two variants for programming; one is the use of chips, which come with preset tunes that you can employ at the flick of a switch. These are closed circuits, which means you cannot make custom adjustments. The second variant is Tuners, which come with open circuits that allow you to make custom changes to specific options.
Now that you have the basics of tuners, how will they affect your 6.7L Powerstroke?
Mileage relates to how efficient you burn duel, and in this case, we have a few issues to contend with, these include, such factors as driver habits, average road speed, idle time, ambient temperature, braking and more.
Consider that a single wheel truck provides 16-18 MPG on stock tires when managed by an aggregated driver with an aggregated load.