In the world of RC, there are many categories; this article concentrates on the short course truck category. Even in this category, there are five subgroups, and although I will focus on 1:10 Electric Short Course Trucks, I present to you the five different categories in the RC short course truck racing world.
1:10 Electric Short Course Truck
These trucks are full-bodied, lifelike stadium trucks that are the most popular in the group. They include standard and brushless electric motor models. These models come in 4WD and 2WD, based on the actual original car model.
1:10 Nitro Short Course
This is the gas-powered section of the 1:10 short course racer, it is picking up popularity, mainly for the sound and real-life comparison you get from the different mechanical configurations these cars provide. These models come in 4WD and 2WD, based on the actual original car model, but also include engines that are now trying to copy the original.
The other three categories, which are not as popular, include:
1:8 Nitro Short Course; the same as 1:10 but in 1:8, very unpopular, phasing out.
1:8 Electric Short Course; the same as 1:10 but in 1:8, still around, the motor configurations are making this an interesting group.
1:5 Gas-Powered 2WD Short Course Truck; the same as 1:10 but in 1:5, and gaining popularity.
Now let’s take a look at the five best 1:10 electric RC short course racers on the market.
List of Top-Rated Short Course RC Trucks Comparison Table:
|Traxxas 58034-1 MARK||2WD||Standard||View on Amazon|
|Arrma AR102678||4WD||Standard||View on Amazon|
|Traxxas 6804R||4WD||Brushless||View on Amazon|
|Team Associated ASC7063||4WD||Brushless||View on Amazon|
|ARRMA AR102673||4WD||Brushless||View on Amazon|
The Short Course RC Trucks Reviews:
The Traxxas Slash 1/10 Scale 2WD Short Course Racing Truck with TQ 2.4 GHz Radio System, in Blue/Orange model 58034-2 is their fully-assembled and Ready-To-Race® vehicle.
Traxxas is known for near-perfect performance in all, and this model is no different from their exceptional standards. This is a full off-road racer that comes with Traxxas long travel suspension and oil-filled shocks that work perfectly with the unique chassis design. This model was made for the rough and ready and is versatile with great clearance, and overall protection provided by the fenders.
The Metal Gear Magnum 272™ Transmission with a Velineon™ brushless horsepower motor, and delivers 7-cell speed jumps to over 40mph performance.
The Revo-spec Torque-Control™ slipper clutch works in perfect sync with the bellcrank steering system; you get a clean bump steer operation that delivers precise handling and control. The digital steering servo gives you lightning fast response to control.
This model comes with their waterproof receiver box, so you can race in every condition, and the Titan 12T 550 modified motor constantly delivers the power needed, as it is cooled by the integrated cooling fan that makes sure your motor doesn’t overheat.
The XL-5 Electronic Speed Control gives you high current handling, with an EZ-Set® one-button setup providing smooth high-frequency control. The XL-5 has three drive profiles, low voltage detection, thermal shutdown protection, gold-plated connectors, and low resistance.
With the 3-channel TQ™ 2.4GHz radio system, you just switch on and drive. There are no channels or frequencies to manage, so the focus is on having fun. The TQ’s ergonomic design is comfortable for all-day driving, and its sleek lines are enhanced by an internal antenna that is impervious to damage.
The transmitter uses a rocker switch transmitting over 3-channel TQ 2.4GHzand you get a “neutral” for revving the engine. If the engine has not throttle input for 10 seconds, it will shut down.
This model also comes with a Traxxas Training Mode™, which basically means that you limit the throttle to 50% power.
This model uses the Traxxas 4-amp NiMH Peak Detection DC Fast Charger for their Power Cell NiMH Battery with iD.
100% Fully Assembled and Ready-To-Race®
- Traxxas On-Board Audio System (OBA)
- 4-amp DC peak detecting fast charger
- Titan® 12-Turn 550 modified motor
- XL-5 waterproof electronic speed control
- Water-sealed receiver box and steering servo
- Metal gear Magnum 272™ transmission
- Revo®-spec torque-control™ slipper clutch
- Adjustable steel turnbuckles with captured rod ends
- Scale ProGraphix® truck body
- The tires are mounted on satin-finish 2.2″ Slash wheels
- Powder coated progressive rate white springs
- The ESC and receiver mounted directly to chassis
- Included optional 23-tooth pinion gear
Its Traxxas, do I need to say any more? If you are new, just know that Traxxas is like saying “Thor or Thanos” in the RC world, you don’t get more powerful or more adaptable, or more everything, than a Traxxas.
The Arrma AR102678 Senton 4×4 Mega Short Course Truck RTR in black is a tough 4WD metal beast with a 550 sized 12 turn brush motor.
The Arrma Senton is made of aluminum, steel, and composites, and is built to outlast and outdrive its competition. With its all waterproof features, allowing you to drive in any condition, the Senton provides accuracy in detail as well as in performance.
This model comes with coil-over oil shocks and a keyed spring perch with the self-bleed design. It also features strong hook-and-loop straps to keep your batteries in place at all times.
The bathtub chassis comes with molded high sides, to keep the dirt out, and has a telescopic driveshaft system in the front and rear, with every wheel connected by a slipper clutch centerline transmit drive. The large pitch gear differential modules, made of metal are easy to access, which makes this an easy maintenance model.
The 4WD power system uses a high-torque 550 sized 12 turn brushed motor, and the electronics module is also easy to access, you get fast access to the servo, electronic speed controller and the receiver for better maintenance.
The tires and wheels are dBoots FORTRESS MT tires with multi-spoke wheels.
This kit is powered by a Tactic TTX300 2.4GHz radio system, ADS-5 servo, MEGA ESC, and a 2400mAh 8.4V 7-cell NiMH battery that comes with a wall charger.
- The two-piece molded lower box and upper lid are sealed with rubber seals.
- The ESC and steering servo attach to the molding, and the receiver sits inside a waterproof box.
- Ready to Run, out of the box.
- The ADS-5 Steering Servo provides 5kg/cm (70oz/inch) of torque from inside a waterproof case. The torque of
- 5kg (70oz) at 6v, reaches full operating angle in 0.12 seconds.
This Arrma model is perfect for both beginners and brush motor fans alike. The price is comfortable, and the performance is exceptional.
This is the Platinum Edition Traxxas 1/10 Slash 4X4 Brushless Short Course Truck. Which means its special. Check out why.
This is a brushless motor, and comes with a Low-CG chassis and high-volume shocks. The Platinum Edition comes fully assembled and ready to compete out of the box.
This Platinum edition comes with machined aluminum suspension components, front and rear sway bars, and a clear body for you to paint any way you like.
You also get a special sealed, silicone-filled differential that replaces the installed Torque-Control slipper clutch. You use this when track conditions favor a center differential.
This model’s standout features are its Low-CG chassis and massive GTR shocks. The low center of gravity (CG) chassis is unique, it holds the battery and electronics as low as possible in the chassis. Combined with the Extreme Brushless Power and 4WD, the chassis delivers a rigid performance standard that is maintained with its integrated ribbing.
Ultimately, the low-CG design increases corner speed and stability dramatically, and you get super power Velineon with superior traction, giving you harder launches and faster lap times.
- Rigid, low center of gravity chassis
- Hard-anodized and PTFE-coated aluminum GTR shocks with Titanium Nitride shafts
- Blue-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum C-Hubs
- Blue-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum steering blocks, rear hub carriers and axle nuts
- Adjustable front and rear sway-bars with optional extra-stiff swaybar set
- Optional, sealed, silicone-filled center differential replacing the Torque-Control® slipper
- Officially-licensed BFGoodrich® Mud-Terrain™ T/A® Tires molded in S1 race compound
- Clear polycarbonate body with overspray film and window masks
This is a Traxxas, its special, treat it with respect. You pay for what you get, and you get Platinum quality performance. This box doesn’t come with a transmitter, receiver, batteries, and charger; you need to buy these separately. Bottom line, this is not for babies, this is a professional racing model for the serious enthusiast.
The Team Associated ProSC 4×4 brushless motor is a Ready-To-Run 4WD off-road short-course truck for the Qualifier Series.
Every now and then comes along a performance RC vehicle that hits the brief on every point. This is what the ProSC 4×4 comes with. It’s ready to race performance model that is operated by XP 2.4GHz radio system that controls the Reedy 550-SL 3500kV 4-pole brushless motor.
You also get a car with a composite modular chassis with enclosed water-resistant receiver box and a sealed gear differentials front and rear connected together by a rugged aluminum drive shaft, and an adjustable center slipper clutch. This combination of strength and performance delivers all the Reedy brushless power.
For handling rough terrain, you get huge 16mm fluid-filled, coil-over shocks with 15-spoke offroad hex drive wheels with high-grip racing tires. To work in any condition, the model includes a splash-proof Reedy SC800-BL brushless speed control with High Current T-plug Connector that is 2S-3S LiPo compatible.
- Fully assembled Ready-To-Run
- Reedy 550-SL 3500kV 4-pole brushless motor
- Splash-proof Reedy SC800-BL brushless speed control
- 2S-3S LiPo compatible high Current T-plug Connector
- XP 2.4GHz radio system with XP metal gear digital steering servo
- 16mm Big Bore composite fluid-filled shocks
- 15-spoke offroad hex drive wheels with high-grip racing tires
- Heavy duty gear differentials, aluminum driveshaft, and center slipper clutch
- Composite modular chassis with enclosed water-resistant receiver box
- Reedy LiPo Charger and Reedy WolfPack LiPo 3300mAh 7.4V Battery
The price is right, the performance is great and the construction is admirable, you don’t need much more to impress and this is the performance model that you would want to take down all those annoying Traxxas model owners.
This is the Arma Senton BLX 6S brushless power 1/10 4WD model with waterproof electronics, or as the trace track likes to call it, the SENTON 6S.
When it comes to speed, well this is the road runner of the track. You really will find it hard to beat this model, and it comes with impressive features.
The Senton 6S comes with a polycarbonate shell for reduced weight; this lightweight shell covers the ARRMA 6S 185 BLX brushless system which is about as fast as it gets.
The chassis is as powerful as the engine made of 3mm thick anodized aluminum and includes updated front and rear composite chassis braces. You also get three full-metal geared differentials, a very strong suspension and steel driveshafts throughout.
You also get a rear polycarbonate wing and aero slotted bodyshell, after all, if you don’t, you end up flying, these added features keep your car on the ground. The batteries are secured with two hook and loop straps, and the balance plugs are held in place with a rubber strap.
The traction is delivered through multi-spoke wheels and aggressive dBoots all-terrain tires.
The radio box and lid have a continuous rubber seal for protection against the elements.
- Heavy-duty 4mm steel shock shafts
- A purposeful servo mounts.
- Beefy front and rear gearboxes
- Three metal-geared differential units
- BLX185 150A waterproof ESC is 6S LiPo ready.
- XT90 connectors and built-in cooling fan for reduced heat during intense driving action
- BLX185 ESC has over-voltage protection, and a two-stage LiPo cut off for added cell management.
- 10AWG high-quality wires and 6V BEC unit with a three-mode throttle profile
- 5000mAh – 35C minimum – per battery pack
- Waterproof ADS-15M steering servo with metal gears
- ADS-15M has 208oz-inch (15kg-cm) of torque at 7.2v.
- TTX300 2.4Ghz technology
Perhaps one of the fastest RC short course trucks in the world, can reach speeds that will blow your mind away. Personally, I kept this for last for a reason, it’s the best in its class, for me. Others might argue, but heck, that’s the beauty of a race, lets meet at the track and see the outcome.