The 5.7 Hemi is a Chrysler engine that comes in I6 and V8 configurations, and has hemispherical combustion chambers, hence the name “Hemi.” There have been 3 generations of Hemi’s, the first appeared in 1951 until 1958, and was then replaced by the 2nd generation Hemi in 1964 which lasted till 1971. The latest 3rd generation Hemi was introduced in 2003.
List of Top-Rated Cold Air Intakes for Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
|K&N 71-1533||13.87 pounds||22.2” x 14.2” x 12.5”||View on Amazon|
|Airaid 302-125-1||9.35 pounds||16” x 16” x 12”||View on Amazon|
|K&N 63-1561||15.05 pounds||18.2” x 18.2” x 12.5”||View on Amazon|
|BBK 1733||13.95 pounds||21” x 14.3” x 13.9”||View on Amazon|
|AEM 21-8212DP||14.4 pounds||35” x 17” x 12.5”||View on Amazon|
The Best Cold Air Intakes for Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Reviews
K&N 71-1533 – Performance Intake Kit
- 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
The K&N 71-1533 Air Intake is designed to fit the Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi model.
This model is a free-flowing, mandrel-bent aluminum tube air intake system and comes to replace the factory air filter and air intake housing.
This K&N Blackhawk Induction Air Intake System is made of black components that include the K&N high-flow air filter and heat shield.
The intake tube is designed to sit flush with the factory inlet air temperature sensor and crankcase vent hose.
This filter comes in an oversized cone shape and is made from an oil-free synthetic filter media that only requires cleaning once every 100,000 miles.
It will take around 90 minutes to replace the old filter unit with this kit fully.
- Guaranteed to increase horsepower
- Designed to improve throttle response and engine sound
- Washable and reusable air filter
- Made from all black components
- Lasts up to 100,000 miles before maintenance
- Easy to install, around 90 minutes
This is an all-black K&N filter model; it brings all the performance of an aftermarket upgrade kit.
Airaid 302-125-1 – QuickFit Intake System
- 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 F/I All Models
- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 F/I All Models
- 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 F/I All Models
The AIRAID 302-125-1 is designed for Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi engine applications.
The AIRAID Air Box System is a stock replacement component that delivers improved performance. This model comes with an enlarged open-element air inlet that is protected by the AIRAID Cold Air Dam panels. These panels help provide a steady, free-flowing supply of external cooler air into your engine.
The panels keep the filter isolated and protected from hot engine compartment air.
This model connects to the factory air intake tube.
The AIRAID air filter is synthetic and is washable and reusable.
- Increases horsepower and torque
- Replaces stock airbox and air filter
- Cold Air Dam panels block out hot engine bay air
- Easy to install
- Easy to clean oil-free synthetic air filter
- Washable and reusable air filter media
This is a high-grade filter kit and is used for upgrading performance in your Ram 1500, consider this an exceptional unit for heavy polluted work. Just remember to clean it more regularly than 100K miles for a continuous perfect performance.
K&N 63-1561 – Performance Air Intake Kit
- 2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2019 Dodge 1500 Classic 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2018 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2018 Dodge 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2017 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2017 Dodge 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2016 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2016 Dodge 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2015 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2015 Dodge 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2013 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2011 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
- 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Fuel Injection All Models
The K&N 63-1561 Air Intake Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi engine applications.
The K&N AirCharger 63-1561 air intake system is a stock replacement part and is designed to produce a smoother performance with its chrome topped K&N high-flow air filter and a heat shield. It comes with an oversized air filter that can last up to 100,000 miles before maintenance.
- Guaranteed horsepower gain
- Improves throttle response and engine sound
- Free-Flowing High-Density Polyethylene Tube
- Replaces entire factory air intake system
- Lasts up to 100,000 miles before maintenance
- Easy to install, usually in 90 minutes or less
This is the budget-friendly K&N model air filter for the Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi engine, and you save 30% when compared to the K&N all black model.
BBK 1733 – Cold Air Intake System
- 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 HEMI SPORT
- 2003 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 LARAMIE
- 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 LARAMIE
- 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 RUMBLE BEE
- 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 SLT
- 2003 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 SLT
- 2004 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 SLT
- 2006 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 SPORT
- 2003 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 ST
- 2004 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 ST
- 2008 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 SXT
- 2006 Dodge RAM 1500 V8 5.7L/345 TRX4
This is the BBK 1733 Cold Air Intake System for 2003-2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi
This is the chrome BBK Performance cold air intake kit that provides you with an aftermarket upgrade to increase horsepower and torque. The added chrome plate finish is for the show but does not take away from the performance.
This model comes with a high flow washable conical cotton filter and is easy to install without any special tools or equipment. The kit comes with stainless steel clamps and silicone couplers.
- 15-20 Horsepower Gain
- Increase Fuel Economy
- Improved Throttle Response
- Reusable High Flow Filter
- Direct Bolt-On for Easy Installation
- Shiny Chrome Plated Finish
If you need the show, then this is the one you want. Chrome plate pipes will always attract attention. On the performance side, you get a proven 15-20HP gain over stock air intake, which is exactly what you want.
AEM 21-8212DP – Polished Brute Force Intake System
- 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 F/I All Models
- 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 F/I All Models
- 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L V8 F/I All Models
The AEM 21-8212DP is designed for Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi applications.
The AEM 21-8212DP Brute Force Air Intake System is designed, tuned and dyno-tested for each specific application, including Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup models.
This air intake model comes with an extra-large AEM Dryflow synthetic washable air filter and a shiny chrome-like plated air flow pipe that adds a show with a performance.
The intake tubing is made from mandrel-bent aluminum and finished with a durable chrome-like finish. This model is designed to accept the engine’s factory emissions control devices, these devices in the IAT sensor and PCV breather hose.
The AEM Dryflow air filter is a tapered cylinder made from an oil-free, synthetic filter media. This media can last up 100K miles before maintenance.
- Increased horsepower
- Tuned and dyno-tested for improved acceleration and engine sound
- Low restriction aluminum tubing
- Easy to install
- Air filter lasts up to 100,000 miles before cleaning
- Washable and reusable oil-free filter media
This is a high-grade aftermarket model that comes with a lot of exceptional features to improve your Ram 1500 performance as well as looks.
5.7 Hemi Cold Air Intake FAQ
The 1st generation Hemi delivered 350 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 375 lb-ft of torque (4,400 rpm). The 2nd generation model delivered 390 horsepower and 407 lb-ft of torque in the Dodge Ram, and the 3rd generation Hemi reached 375 horsepower in the 2009 Dodge Challenger with a manual transmission. However, the power generated by each Hemi is different between different models of vehicle.
3rd Generation Hemi Engines
The Hemi uses a cast-iron block with a chunky deep skirt design. Four bolts per main bearing hold up the crankshaft, the manifold is cast aluminum alloy, and the intake manifold is plastic. This engine is cheaper and easier to build than the LA-series 360 V8 4.7-liter V8. It also produced more power and torque than the LA series models.
The 5.7L Hemi hit the market during 2003 and was found in all Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500 pickup trucks to compliment the Magnum 5.9 engine. During 2004 only gasoline engines were available in the Ram Heavy Duty series. 2014 5.7 Liter Hemi has MDS with 395HP, and the model was installed in Dodge Ram, and Dodge Durango.
In 2005 the Hemi was placed in Chrysler 300C, Dodge Magnum R/T, Jeep Grand Cherokee.
In 2006 it appeared in the Dodge Charger R/T, and in 2009 it was installed in the Dodge Challenger R/T with a 6-speed version that does not feature MDS.
The 5.7 L (345 cu in) Hemi in the Ram delivers 345 hp (257.3 kW) and 398 lb-ft (540 Nm).
The 5.7 L (345 cu in) Hemi in the 300C and Magnum R/T delivers 340 hp (253.5 kW) and 390 lb-ft (529 Nm).
This is the list of applications for the 5.7L Hemi.
|Chrysler 300, 300C||2005–present|
|Dodge Durango||2004–2009, 2011–present|
|Dodge Magnum R/T||2005–2008|
|Dodge Charger R/T||2005–present|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee||2005–present|
During 2009, Chrysler upgraded the 5.7L engine integrating Variable Camshaft Timing or VCT. This system uses an oil control valve to control the flow of oil to a unique camshaft sprocket that contains a phasing device. The valve either advances or retards camshaft timing based on the mode of operation.
The cylinder heads are revised for increased flow, and the intake manifolds are now engine model specific. The heavy-duty trucks have a six-speed transmission with no Multi-Displacement System (MDS), and the latest models of Hemi come in five different camshaft profiles that will all have VCT.
Cold Air Intake Filters
A very popular aftermarket product, Cold Air intake filters are added to engines to improve the filtration and cold air intake for performance upgrades. Air filters are used to stop pollution from entering the engine, radiator, and fuel lines. Air filters are a very important component in an engine’s live performance. Therefore, when a filter is not performing, the engine will deteriorate, and performance will falter.
These basic airflow and filter units are usually made aluminum alloy with plastic and are ergonomically designed to be changed within minutes. The modern air filter kits must be cleaned or changed at least once a year, or once every 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Filters do age, and also cleaning them or replacing them is a matter of common sense. If you drive in especially polluted areas such as construction sites, you should consider changing the filter after 6,000 miles.
Cold air intake filters are kits that provide over stock performance by increasing the flow of clean cold air to your engine. Just so you understand the impact of a cold air intake filter when compared to a stock, it will improve your acceleration by 11%, and a clean filter improves performance by the same degree. As such, you are looking at the improvement of up to 22% from a clogged stock air filter, when adding an aftermarket cold air filter.
How to Install an aftermarket cold air intake filter to a Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
First of all, remember that each kit might resemble each other, but installation can differ. The expected replacement time is around 1 hour.
These are the standard tools needed for a replacement.
- 5/16” Socket;
- ¾” Wrench;
- Flat Blade Screwdriver;
- 4mm Allen Wrench;
- 10mm Socket;
- 13mm Socket;
- 10mm Wrench;
- Clean the area you work in and prepare all the tools and parts for arm length access;
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Disconnecting the Old Unit
1. Undo the inlet air temperature sensor electrical connection;
2. Undo the hose clamp holding the factory intake tube to the throttle body;
3. Remove the crankcase vent hose from the upper air filter housing;
4. Remove the factory intake tube from the throttle body;
5. Lift the intake assembly and remove it from the vehicle;
6. Lift the engine cover and remove it from the vehicle;
7. Take out the factory air box assembly;
8. Undo the crankcase vent hose assembly from the valve cover port.
Preparing the Vent Hose
- Measure 11” from the air filter end of the crankcase vent hose;
- Trim the vent hose;
- Install the vent hose onto the cut hose with the hose clamps;
- Reinstall the crankcase vent hose assembly onto the valve cover;
- Reinstall the engine cover and route the crankcase vent hose through the factory opening;
Installing the Heat Shield
- Install the new heat shield assembly;
- Install the cold air intake tube to the heat shield adaptor and throttle body.
Install the Hoses and Sensors
- Reinstall the breather hoses.
- Take the inlet air temperature sensor out of the factory intake tube.
- Install the inlet air temperature sensor into the grommet
- Insert the air temperature sensor, mass air sensors into their grommets
Installing the New Filter
- Install the intake tube into the pump hose
- Align with the hose on the throttle body.
- Align the hose, tube and heat shield for proper fit and secure with the hardware.
- Connect the crankcase vent hose to the fitting installed into the intake tube and secure with the hose clamp.
- Choose the appropriate inlet air temperature sensor extension harness and then connect it to the inlet air temperature sensor and vehicle harness.
- Install the new air filter and secure with the clamps
- Reconnect the negative battery cable
- Close your hood and start your engine