The oil for a car is like blood in the human body. When the engine works, the oil is that substance that makes it safe from corrosion and other mechanical damage occurs during the process of work.
Without it, the engine would break much more often than it does for different reasons. Also, one of the main purposes of the oil is to make engine operable even in the awful weather conditions, especially in winter.
List & Comparison of the Best Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke:
|Castrol 06249||Full synthetic||5W-40||View on Amazon|
|Shell Rotella T6||Diesel engine||5W-40||View on Amazon|
|Motul 007250||Synthetic/Diesel||5W-40||View on Amazon|
|Liqui Moly 2041||Synthetic||5W-40||View on Amazon|
|Pennzoil 550040834-6PK||Full synthetic||5W-40||View on Amazon|
|Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. 9000-012S||Synthetic||5W-40||View on Amazon|
|Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme||Synthetic||5W-40||View on Amazon|
|Shell Rotella T4||Diesel engine||15W-40||View on Amazon|
|MAG1 62836-6PK||Full synthetic||5W-40||View on Amazon|
- Type of oil
This feature indicates what types of engines it will suit best. Such a variety of oil types caused by the variety of the engines themselves. The more powerful the car is, the stronger the engine it requires. Different engines are made of their special materials and work differently either, which also requires their type of oil. For example, synthetic oil will not fit a diesel engine, because it made of chemical substances that can’t provide nice protection and operable conditions to the engine, whose requirements are way higher.
Classification of oils comes from the first definition of its types. In the graph below there is an explanation of what operating conditions (temperature and viscosity) correspond. For example, the most popular type of oil in this article’s list is 5W-40 and its code can be read as follows: 5-the rating of classification, operable in winter’s temperature (which W letter stands for) and has 40 in rating of classification related to summer conditions with the high temperature of environment,. The temperature here is the critical value, as it explains the viscosity of the oil. If the temperature will be too low or too high, the oil will lose it’s properties and can bring more damage than use.
Review of the Best Oil for 6.0 Powerstroke
Castrol is one of the most popular brands in the oil world. Products of this trademark are intended to make the engine more powerful, increasing the performance and cool it at the peak loads.
The main feature is that this oil is full synthetic, which means it’s clean from all additional substances that can damage the inner parts during the decay. Looking at these advantages, it’s not a surprise that this is premium class oil.
- Advanced premium full synthetic motor oil to offer strength under extreme pressure
- Titanium strong for maximum engine performance
- Reduces metal-to-metal contact across a range of different driving speeds
- Protects the engine for the entire drain interval even under extreme pressure
- Decreases engine deposit formation to help maximize engine response
Shell is also a very popular brand, but its primary purpose is to make the engine last longer. As can be seen in features, this oil is comparable to the 15W-40 class, which is very unusual.
This product is intended mainly for the diesel engines, which means that its priority is to add more performance to big cars, but don’t waste the fuel.
- Provides 1.5% improved fuel economy performance compared to SAE 15W-40 oils
- Triple Protection Plus formula combines fully synthetic base oils with advanced additives for excellent equipment protection and long engine life
- Formulated with additive technology that protects against the effects of soot, dirt and other contaminants
- Engineered with shear stability to resist viscosity loss and maintain optimal engine oil pressure
The universality of this oil provided a big audience for it. Motul knows how to make the oil that can suit regular gasoline and diesel engines. However, it’s not full synthetic, otherwise, it won’t fit both types of engines at once.
A combination of power and high-quality granted this brand a place in the professional racing world.
- Motel partners with endurance racing teams to refine the formula
- Standards: ACEA A3 / B4, API SN / CF
- Approvals: BMW LL-01, Porsche A40, MB-Approval 229. 5, VW 502 00 – 505 00
- High temperature, high shear stability, and very low volatility
The manufacturer of this oil claims that their products are made by the most modern technologies, which make them universal and high-quality at the same time.
The formula of the oil keeps all the basic components but uses a synthetic additional one to ensure the protection and cooling of the engine. Due to these features, your engine will have very clean oil and it won’t accumulate any bad particles from the oil decay.
- Long service life for the engine due to a very high level of protection against wear
- Rapid oil delivery at low temperatures
- Very high lubrication reliability at high and low temperatures
- Outstanding engine cleanliness
This product was made by a principle “if you want a high-quality result, make it meet all the requirements”. The oil from Pennzoil is a true full synthetic product. It has the highest European quality with some modifications, compared to the American analogs.
The main modification is hidden in its formula, which makes the oil to convert the natural gas into a base oil, which lowers the frictions in the engine and make it serve longer.
- Better fuel economy
- Protects horsepower
- Superior wear and corrosion protection
- Excellent performance in extreme temperatures
The main feature of this oil is to increase the engine’s durability. A formula of base oils also has two additional friction modifiers, which will make your engine last longer and serve good without any reduction of performance.
However, this specific oil is intended for diesel oils, so the regular cars won’t need it, as there are tons of analogs for them. This oil created for cars that exposed to high loads more often.
- Keeps engines cleaner: minimal sludge, soot, and carbon buildup
- Friction modified with Micron Moly and Penetro to reduce friction, wear and scuffing.
- Resists thinning at high temperatures; quickly lubricates in colder temperatures
- Improves engine durability without affecting fuel economy
Looks like this type of oil was designed to satisfy all customers’ needs at once.
Among the list of features, there are TBN retention, extended service, enhanced fuel economy potential over conventional oils, advanced soot control, outstanding viscosity retention, and excellent all-weather performance.
Therefore, this is a wonderful choice for those people who want to get as much profit as possible for their money.
- Superior synthetic base stocks provide faster, safe starts during freezing weather and enhanced thermal properties for hot weather operations
- Enhanced protection against oil oxidation
- Improved fuel economy potential over conventional 15W-40 oils
This oil is some sort of a modification of its previous version – Shell Rotella T Triple Protection, but the new version is made of components, made by the most modern technologies and ways of making the purest oil as it can be.
The main advantage of such modification is the ability to not make any polluting particles during the decay.
- Formulated with advanced additive technology, which is engineered for superior engine cleanliness throughout the oil drain interval
- Provides increased shear stability for better viscosity control and optimal engine oil pressure
- Heightens emission control system durability and improves oil aeration
- Provides enhanced protection against oil oxidation for more efficient operation
Another European product that was made with the most modern solutions to meet the high-quality requirements for that market. However, this oil has become popular in the U.S. either.
To protect your engine, this product is operable at any weather conditions with great viscosity. It won’t freeze during the cool day and will protect your car from cold damage either.
Also, it provides a variety of services that are intended to increase your car performance with no damage to the inner parts, thanks to the formula and double oil refining.
- Provides outstanding protection in high RPM and hot running engines
- Specially designed to prevent sludge and varnish deposits for reduced oil consumption, extended engine life and maximum overall performance resulting in a clean engine
- Meets industry and vehicle manufacturer requirements for long life protection of gasoline vehicle catalytic converters
What is the oil capacity of a 6.0 Powerstroke?
This property depends on a car, even with the same 6.0L Powerstroke engine. However, the majority of engines are unified, so the number of their oil capacity is about 15 quarts average (or 14,1 liters).
Keep in mind, that this number was taken WITH the presence of the filter. Even though it’s a unified number, there are cars with bigger oil capacity and it can be reached over 20 quarts in the car.
How often should you change the oil in a 6.0 Powerstroke?
According to experts, if your car is exposed to the normal daily use, the amount of miles after which it’s recommended to change the oil is 7,500 (which is about 9 months). However, if you’re using your car more often, then this number reduces down to 5,000 (6 months).
But there are also more powerful cars with a bigger capacity, such as heavy-duty. These monsters can go up to 10,000 miles (about 1 year) without changing the oil.
When it comes to picking the oil for your car, the perfect option is to have a consultation with the specialist at the service station. Also, refer to your car’s manual to see what type of oil will be good. After that, you can pick your perfect oil and have a safe ride!